Thursday, February 03, 2005

Freaky storm here...

On Monday, the temperature was around 36 C but since Melbourne was renowned for it's four-season-in-a-day...later that night, the weather change drastically.

First, the wind blasted everything on its way be it trees, houses, bicycles, cars or even buildings. The temperature drops significantly. It was getting colder as we reached the midnight. When I woke up the next morning, it was already raining cats and dogs. The tempereature unbelievably drop to 14 C, half of yesterday warmth. Freezing cold, I put on my winter cloths.

Looking outside, everything was bathed with the chilly raindrops. Luckily Melbourne had an efficient sewerage system in comparison to KL. If this kind of weather hit KL, I bet it was gonna be a disaster.

The heavy rain continue throughout the day till the next morning. Here what I got from the online news.

Police are searching for a boy believed to have been swept under a bridge by floods in Melbourne, while snow was reported in Victoria's alpine regions following wild storms that struck Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales and south-east Queensland.Police search and rescue and local State Emergency Service volunteers are searching for a boy believed to have been swept under a bridge by flooding on his way to school in Melbourne.

Shortly after 8am (AEDT) a passer-by told police that a young boy was in Skeleton Creek under the Sayers Road Bridge in Tarneit, in the city's south west.

Meanwhile, despite temperatures of 36C earlier in the week, heavy snow was reported at the Falls Creek and Mt Hotham ski resorts in Victoria's alpine regions following freak storms that swept across the eastern states.

The storms, caused by an intense low pressure system, brought chaos to Melbourne and parts of Victoria overnight, while strong winds also wrought damage in Tasmania.

Thousands of homes in Sydney and parts of NSW were left without power early today after wild storms yesterday and overnight storms caused blackouts in south-east Queensland.

In Melbourne, storms overnight caused flash flooding, while winds and falling trees left a trail of damage.

Flights into Melbourne late last night were diverted because of bad weather.

Victoria's State Emergency Service was swamped by more than 2500 calls overnight, stretching volunteers to the limit.

"It has certainly been a very busy night, with every suburb of Melbourne, parts of eastern Victoria and the Geelong/Bellarine Peninsula areas being affected," SES spokesman Peter Cocks said.

Mr Cocks said the storms which hit Melbourne were some of the worst the Victorian SES could recall.

Trains and trams across Melbourne were trapped at stations and depots and police urged Melburnians to stay away from the city if possible.

Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Ward Rooney said the weather was among the most extraordinary he had witnessed.

Melbourne's average February rainfall is 45.8mm, but the city received 120mm of rain in the 24 hours to 9am (AEDT) today, more than for any other day in any month since records began in 1856.

The previous record for rainfall over the city in 24 hours was 108mm in 1951.

By 8.15am (AEDT) today, clouds were breaking up over Melbourne and blue skies reappearing.
However flooding continued to cause problems, with a swollen creek this morning trapping a man and woman in their cars at Arthurs Creek, about 40km north-east of Melbourne.

The heaviest rain fell on south central and south-eastern Victoria, Mr Rooney said.

The highest rainfall totals were recorded at Wallaby Creek, in the Goulburn River catchment north-east of Melbourne, with 171mm since 9am yesterday, and 168mm at Monbulk, in the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne.

"There is also a bundle of figures above 100mm across southern Victoria," Mr Rooney said.

"This is a very intense low pressure system that has developed virtually over the top of Victoria.
"And because it's such a strong low pressure system, we also have very strong winds."

Forecasters were optimistic the rain had fallen in Melbourne's catchments but a Melbourne Water spokeswoman said the effect would not be known until later today.

The Bureau of Meteorology issued widespread flood warnings across southern Victoria.
High winds caused an 80m jib to snap from a crane at the MCG overnight, where construction company Grocon is building new spectator stands.

In Tasmania, heavy winds buffeted the north of the state, damaging homes around Devonport.
NSW, meanwhile, was recovering from storms late yesterday which blacked out thousands of homes around Sydney and on the Central Coast.

Heavy rain and large hail stones pummelled parts of Sydney and the Central Coast yesterday, causing flooding, while winds of more than 90km/h brought down trees and power lines and tore roofs off buildings.

The bad weather also brought tragedy, with Sydney schoolgirl Klara Clausen, 16, killed by a falling tree during a school camp in the NSW southern highlands early yesterday.

In south-east Queensland today hundreds of homes were still without power after overnight thunderstorms.

Most of the blackouts were in the Gold Coast hinterland and Beaudesert regions but supplies were expected to be restored within the next few hours, a spokeswoman for electricity distributor Energex said.

Around 16,000 homes had their power cut at the height of the storm last night.

The storms followed a massive dust storm which blanketed large areas of Queensland yesterday.

whoa...even got snow during summer...freaky weather indeed

No comments: