When physicians at an Alberta hospital asked why so many medical students and residents were using a faulty technique for inserting life-saving breathing tubes in patients, they received an unexpected answer: It's television's fault.
Many of the doctors in training said they had learned the procedure from watching medical dramas. And a subsequent analysis of the show ER revealed its fictional MDs and nurses performed intubations incorrectly almost every time.
It is horrifying to know that some medical students and junior doctors learned few of life-saving procedural skills via television, but this is the reality. In fact, I believe that many people learned CPR incorrectly from TV shows. Hopefully this current trend can be corrected. Otherwise, many medical errors will happen in the future.