Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

OSCE exam

I sat for my repeat OSCE today and it was quite tough. There were four stations; two history stations and two physical exam stations.

We are required to take history for epilepsy and dysphagia. I couldn't remember all the questions you should asked for epilepsy and I ran out of time in that station. There are a lot of questions that you need to ask when you are interviewing for epilepsy patient and I also forgot to ask about smoking and alcohol due to time limit. Dysphagia station was a bit easier but I think I could do better if I wasn't too nervous.

The first physical exam station is to perform shoulder exam on a real patient. Fortunately, I have studied well in shoulder exam. The diagnosis is painful arc syndrome (subacromial bursitis). The examiners ask us to name two anatomical structures in the shoulder girdle that can cause shoulder pain and sites that referred pain to the shoulder. They also asked to explain the pathology or mechanism behind painful arc syndrome.

The next physical exam station is to perform cardiovascular exam on a real patient with cardiac murmur. It was aortic stenosis and the examiner asked me to describe all the signs of aortic stenosis. Somehow I'm able to remember few signs of aortic stenosis but I couldn't finish my answer due to time limit.

This repeat OSCE exam was more difficult than the previous OSCE exam. I guess with limited number of students sitting for the exam, the medical faculty can make it harder and more challenging.

Alhamdulillah, I received an email few hours later telling me that I passed. I would not forget this experience and this is certainly one of the most difficult OSCE I've ever had.

11 comments:

أم الليث said...

congratulations hafiz!

now you have 3 repertoires of OSCEs, the rest of us only have 2. this is indeed a learning experience. i always find that if i did badly in something (e.g. a station or an mcq) i would remember it forever!!!

SoFie NuR said...

congrats...^_^

Intan Saleh said...

well done! uhuu.. susahnya stations tu. hope they give straight case tomorrrow.

Hafiz said...

@aliya, thank you. I barely survive this exam though. This is certainly a memorable experience for me.

@sofie, thanks :)

@intan, good luck for you. I hope they will give you a good patient and nice examiners.

Unknown said...

congratulations hafiz! :)

mosh said...

alhamdulillah. congrats! cepat dapat result nak nervous lama2 pun tak sempat.

i guess staying in the room and be a nerd helped ehehehe.

Hafiz said...

@minci, thanks :)

@mosh, kalau lambat dapat lagi result, lagi nervous. by the way, what happened to efx2? it has been down for few days now. Is this the end of efx2?

mosh said...

tu lah tak tau la apa jadi. possibly it is going to be the end kot. the last time we had the problem, the admin seemed to be quite active in rectifying the problem. but this time around, they are eerily quiet. and not many people have the patience to wait anymore i think. so, i think many people would leave, including myself huhuhuhu...

Hafiz said...

so Keith does not fix efx2 this time eh...if that is the case, there will lots of efx2 refugees lah...

if you migrate somewhere, please tell me :)

Anonymous said...

alhamdulillah...success jugak

anyway, dah habis exam ke?

teringat pulak time our final med&surg osce exam. for me, osce exam is my clinical exam saviour..slalunya osce exam 'penyelamat' untuk long cases & short cases yang tak berapa yakin dapat score

aaa...teringat pulak satu buku terbitan UM kt M'sia ni. tajuknya XPRESS REVISION IN SHORT CASES. sangat lah berguna buku tu..especially untuk osce and short case. waktu final exam memang membantu sangat2... if anyone interested lah...

hayad said...

wah, tahniah!