Pages

Friday, September 09, 2005

of words...

For almost two years now, whenever we were confronted with patients telling their sad stories of their illness, we were taught to say this stereotype phrase "I'm sorry to hear that". The phrase was intended to convey our empathy towards the patient.

Practising the phrase for almost an endless times, now I think the phrase is losing its sole purpose. The phrase seems to devoid the essence of sympathy and seems to be conveying a reflex response. Just asked the simulated patients that were interviewed many times by the medical students in one day, the phrase to them is seen as exhaustive repetition by the students. No wonder the phrase lose its significance.

Now, confronting with a situation where one of my friends is facing chronic illness, I'm speechless. The phrase is not suitable anymore. No such words can help to alleviate my friend's illness. If I said I understand how my friend feels, perhaps that is not so true as if I have been experiencing the same kind of pain previously. And it is not my monye that goes out of the pocket too. No words can truly express my sympathy to my friend. A bit frustating too.

It is true what have been said in this hadith... If you (have need to) ask, ask of Allah; and if you seek help, seek help from Allah. Know that even if the Nation (or the whole community) were to gather together to benefit you with something, they would not benefit you with anything except that which Allah has already recorded for you....[Tirmidhi]

The only thing that I could write is this hadith.
“Indeed amazing are the affairs of a believer! They are all for his benefit. If he is granted ease of living he is thankful; and this is best for him. And if he is afflicted with a hardship, he perseveres; and this is best or him.” (Muslim)

"O Allah our lord! Bless my friend with the strength to cope with the illness. Grant her with the wisdom to seek the 'hikmah' beyond the illness. O Allah. Please forgive her sins and help her to recover soon. Amin"

No comments: