Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

No longer a parasite

After two weeks of following the general medical team, it is now over biggrin. It was a tiring job to follow the doctors all over the hospital doing their ward round and this also includes the on-call. If we are are on-call, we usually finished around 9pm. Please note that we usually started our morning with the handover meeting at 8.30 am, followed by registrar's ward round and consultant's ward round after that.

What do we do when we are on-call? Basically, during that day, the team will be the one receiving any patients that is admitted to the ward and as a medical students we are expected to clerk the patients and presented to the consultant on the following day.

In retrospect, I did not learn a lot but it was an interesting experience to follow the team. It gave me a glimpse of my own future career and which aspect that I need to improve as a future intern. It also taught me different ways of managing paediatric patients and their families.

Being a parasite when the exam is around the corner is not a good thing to do, especially when you have not covered a lot of things yet. I'm glad it is over now. Now, I can concentrate on stuff that matters the most, that is the exam cool.

No comments: